Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, June 5, 2009

We Survived!

Today was the last day of school and for the first time (as a parent anyway, my feelings as a teacher were quite opposite), I am overjoyed. Today was the last day of carpooling our boys 25-30 minutes one way to school. With a kindergartener and a second grader, that was three trips to the school a day. Kev dropped them off most mornings, but I had many two-trip days or days spent hanging out at the park (which was great for Matthew but terrible for the laundry). So we survived all the travel time and even the boys are relieved that they won't be spending so much time in the car. But I'm not sorry we did it. It gave the boys a chance to finish school with teachers and friends that they know. I believe it gave them a feeling of closure so that they are ready and excited about going to a new school. And that is another great thing. Since we will be attending school according to the year-round calendar, we have six weeks to relax and play and by the time we are all going crazy (about the same time Daniel and Nathan start fighting as often as they breathe), school will be starting again.

In end of year kudos, Nathan received an award for science since he is always telling people stuff about frogs (By the way Rachael, that frog got HUGE! It was as big around as my mop bucket!) and Daniel received the Clove Award (the highest award his school gives out) for citizenship because he is so friendly. The staff at his school was always telling me how polite he is. Even when I picked him up the day he fell and needed stitches in his forehead, he still said thank you to the secretaries. This particular award came with a $10 gift card to Barnes and Noble and Daniel is very excited to go pick out some books.

So now I officially have a first grader and a third grader. Ahh, just Matthew and me, five days a week!

1 comment:

Kathie said...

Yay! Congratulations to those smart boys! I miss have Daniel in primary, but your kids will I'm sure make your new ward very happy, as will you whole family. It was great to see you on Monday!