Although Matthew has only recently passed the one year mark, he has definitely turned into a little toddler. Although small in stature, he is large in creativity and the ability to accomplish a task in record time and complete silence. Here is a rundown of the things he has achieved so far today:
1. He started off the day by reaching into the garbage can while sitting in his highchair and retrieving the crusts of a piece of buttered bread. I took them away as soon as I saw them, washed his hands, washed his tray, move the highchair, gave him Benadryl just is case, and gave him new Cheerios.
2. He dropped a jar of pickles in the storage room while I was trying to find a place for all the paper towels (Sam's Club can have great prices, but it requires creativity in the storage department). Luckily for me, it didn't break. Way to use good glass Vlasic!
3. He figured out how to open the dishwasher, the seemingly permanent home of the milk dirtied dishes. I was talking to Kev on the phone when this happened and I'm pretty sure the word "crap" was uttered. Maybe even the "holy crap" version.
4. While working on a project with Nathan, I suddenly heard the air pump on the fish tank turn off, then back on. Matthew was under the table playing with the plugs, although by the time I poked my head under there, he was already gone. Fast and smart. Again luck was with me because he was not electrocuted.
5. During the same project (This was not a long project. Five minutes, tops.), he stealthily pulled every last kleenex out of a half full box. For anyone in need of a tissue, they are now ultra-accessible. Just grab one from the enormous pile on the table.
6. He played with the toilet. At least the lid was down and he hasn't figured out how to open it. The bathroom door at our house will now be closed when no one is occupying the restroom, but open when I'm using it (Remember our recent bug problem?).
7. He played with books that aren't his: Gone With the Wind (which is way too old for him) and The Very Hungry Caterpillar (I can hardly blame him). At least he hasn't reached the stage where he handles the pages in the same manner as the kleenexes.
8. After the big boys left the bathroom door opened, he came out carrying Nathan's flushable wipes, which means he was playing with the toilet again.
This list is by no means comprehensive, just the highlights of his day up until nap time (I still have half a day to survive!). It's also useful to keep in mind the fact that he spent two and a half hours this morning either strapped in his car seat or buckled in a shopping cart. You might have the idea that I'm a negligent mother, but I'm actually not. Matthew is just a cunning little turkey who has already learned that the best time to do anything is when I have my head turned . . .or when I'm peeing.
5 comments:
Ugh, I do NOT miss that stage. It's a good thing he's cute!
oh my! he sounds just like greyson, i know all about the kleenex and the toilet...and the dishwasher. i feel you, i really do!
just over a year and he is doing all of that?!?! i can't wait for the fun to begin :) hahaha. at least he take a quick break for nap time right?
Honestly, I'm looking forward to that stage. I think I'm going to be so bored staring at a sleeping baby.
"Come on! Is that all you do?"
(I deleted the last comment because I misspelled "board") haha.
Post a Comment