Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Mommy-lapse

I was at Mom's Club this morning and we had a discussion about teething: who got which teeth when, how many teeth our children currently have, whether they were terrible teethers or not, etc. I made a comment about how Matthew got all six of his teeth in a relatively short time period and hasn't gotten any new ones since then. I also admitted freely that I missed all four of Daniel's two-year molars. I do have a great reason though. He got those particular teeth during the first trimester of my pregnancy with Nathan, the time period when half my ward thought I was going inactive because I missed church so much. I was so sick that I kept a container of dry cereal by my bed, partially so I would have something to munch in a vain attempt to keep the nausea down and partially so I wouldn't have to get out of bed when Daniel woke up hungry in the morning. For nine months the clean clothes never got folded and the only time the toilet got cleaned was when my older sister did it for me. Kev was working during the day and in school at night. It was a sad, sad time for us all. Anyway, besides those teeth of Daniel's I have been pretty aware of who is growing teeth in our house and feeling pretty good about my level of awareness.

At dinnertime tonight, Matthew was screaming his head off because I wasn't bringing his food fast enough (He is in terrible danger of starving, you know. At least he thinks so.) and I happened to take a peek in his mouth to see if I could spy any new teeth. Not only did I find one just cutting through, but I found two others that have been around for awhile. All three are molars. In spite of the fact that I'm the one who usually brushes his teeth, feeds him his meals, and generally assesses his well being, I totally missed three teeth. Big ones. It's not like cutting a molar is a fast and easy process. And I absolutely have no excuse this time. Except for the fact that he is the third child and in spite of my best intentions, things like his baby book are very sparsely filled compared to Daniel's and Nathan's. But still! Molars! Three of them!!

I am so ashamed.

And I'm laughing at myself due to the irony of this situation. The only reason I was peering into his mouth while he shrieked was because we talked about teeth this morning. It wasn't some Super Mommy Sense. It was peer pressure, plain and simple.

5 comments:

Patti said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are just like the rest of us! Peer pressure parenting is the way to go.

Megan said...

poor matthew the 3rd (3rd child that is). how funny that our topic of conversation brought your attention to your sons mouth haha. yesterday leanna and i decided the first child is spoiled when they are young but then get ignored after the rest come and the youngest doesn't get as much attention as a baby. however the youngest gets mom and dad the longest. so it all evens out!

Melissa E Photography said...

Molars? Wow, Shauna.

Don't you worry. I think anyone with a kid as good as Matthew would easily miss the birth of three teeth.

Hannah S said...

That's what mom's group is for! Yay, for socializing for at least an hour while our kids run wild!

Leanna said...

If Mommy Senses decrease with each child, I am in big trouble.