Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Monday, October 13, 2025

If I Only Had a Brain

Most of the time my creative food endeavors turn out pretty well. But once in a while the results are a bit lackluster and today was one of those days. I’m taking full advantage of the opportunity to make all the dairy-ful desserts I can while Matthew is not here, so today was a no bake mini cheesecake kind of a day. And the Halloweeny twist was supposed to be a bloody brain resting oh so casually on top. But for some reason my brains did not turn out like the recipe said they would. Not only did they not set up in the predicted 1-2 hours, it took a full 24 hours in the freezer for me to be able to even pop them out of the molds. And even then, they did not have the definition of the ones in the picture that accompanied the recipe. But they were far and away better than the 1–2-hour brains. Those ones looked just like a brain would post zombie attack. But the blood portion looked better when it was fresher and not so great later on. Although to be honest, the effect was middling at any time. I’ve made far more convincing edible blood on other occasions. So, I guess it was kind of a no-win situation.

Nevertheless, they tasted delightful. Lemon cheesecake topped with raspberry sauce is always a winner. And next week’s treat has a higher probability of being more aesthetically pleasing, so hopefully I won’t come away feeling a bit disgruntled like I am today. But despite the letdown of a less than stellar visual impact, cheesecake cures many ills. Which means that mediocre jelly blood aside, we all enjoyed sampling this evening’s treat.

2 hour brain

24 hour brain

No comments: