Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Saturday, May 10, 2025

Worth the Wait

As you may well know, we have really shifted into experience gifts with our kids rather than just giving them more stuff. As such, today was Christmas! Or at least today was a Christmas present. πŸ˜‰ Today was the day we saw “Wicked.” Not the recent movie version of which I’m highly skeptical based on the previews I’ve seen, but the Broadway version. We took all our boys to see “Wicked” last time it made its way to Salt Lake, but Malia was still too young to care at that point. But about a year later, she was old enough to care and has wanted to see this spectacle of a musical ever since. So, suffice it to say, she was super, super, duper excited!

In past I’ve talked about the power of live theater and even though I’ve seen this show three times before today and I know exactly what is going to happen, I still get emotional, I still get goose bumps, I still enjoy every moment from that first chord to the final dropping of the curtain at the end of the show. As soon as the lights dimmed and the first chord sounded, I got a little teary. This show does have a powerful beginning, both musically and visually, and it gets me every time. And in the post show analysis, Malia declared that she is my daughter because as soon the show started, she got a little teary too. πŸ˜‚She has wanted to see this show since she was eight, and the anticipation and the visual and musical power of those first moments of this show definitely made an impact on her. 

When the applause finally died down at the end of the show, I asked Malia if it was worth the five-year wait. Her response? “Yes!”


No comments: