Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, October 11, 2024

A Need to Knead

Nathan has had a hankering for homemade bread. But since he no longer lives at home and therefore can’t enjoy the breads of my labors, he decided to make his own. He has been talking about it for weeks now, asking questions in advance like he does when he is planning to try something new on his own. I knew today was his breadmaking day, so I was ready for any questions that came up.

Nathan Facetimed me to make sure he was mixing and kneading it right (which he was) and had to borrow bread pans from his neighbors, but those were really the only signs that he was a first-time solo bread maker. He was mostly pleased with his results, only having a sliver of dissatisfaction in the fact that his loaves cracked, but it provided an opportunity for him to up his bread making game next time when I taught him that loaves crack in the oven when they are not given enough rising time before baking. I always rise by the bread and not by the clock, something he will be more attentive to next time. However, those cracks in no way diminished the wonderful aroma that permeated his apartment and the lovely taste that he has been craving.

I hope his roommates and neighbors, with whom he generally shares the results of his cooking and baking endeavors, realize how lucky they are. 


No comments: