So…our fridge is dead. It passed sometime overnight. I have a sneaking suspicion that it started ailing yesterday evening, but the symptoms were not apparent enough for me to feel concerned. There was a bit more frost in the freezer than normal, but that happens when the freezer doesn’t get closed all the way and I have children, so I made sure it was well sealed and didn’t think anything else about it. But this morning when Kev told me that he thought the ice maker was dying when only water poured into his water bottle instead of ice, that slight excess of frost I had spotted in the freezer suddenly had a much more sinister cause. I popped open the freezer and sure enough, things were well on their way to liquefaction. We ended up throwing away about half of the contents of the freezer because they were completely ruined or way too old anyway. The freezer has been in need of a good clean and sort, but I’ve been putting it off for awhile now. The failure of said appliance meant the purge could not be delayed any longer. Luckily for us, we have multiple freezers in the garage so the food that was still viable was easily relocated.
Once we got the kids off to school, Kev and I headed to Lowes to see about getting a new fridge. The past two years have held lengthy shortages of many products and extensive delays on receiving products ordered, so I was feeling some stress about being able to get a new fridge in a timely fashion. We were blessed though, to be able to find a fridge that will work in our space, is big enough to suit our needs, has all the features I like, is actually in stock, and can be delivered on Tuesday. Until then we will be living out of ice chests and will need to replace much of what is in our fridge due to the long exposure to less than safe temperatures. However, that is an inconvenience and nothing more.
I really wish shopping day had not been yesterday as the fridge was completely full of a week’s worth of groceries, but it can all be replaced. Another con is the fact that we ended up spending far more money than I would have liked since 1) we were not planning on buying a fridge right now and 2) we had to go with what was available rather than wait for a less expensive model due to our current situation, but we have also been greatly blessed in terms of Kevin’s employment and we have the money in the bank. All things considered, this is nothing more than a speedbump in the grand scheme of things, a mightily annoying and pretty frustrating bump, but a speedbump none the less.
No comments:
Post a Comment