Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Strength in Numbers

After six long months of church at home, today we finally went back to church. In the spirit of complete honesty, I have loved having church at home. Our weekly SCONES has been so good for us. It has strengthened us and brought us closer together. The Spirit has been stronger in our home. We have had so many good discussions and we have all learned a lot and been uplifted. And with accommodations for Covid still rampant, I was a bit skeptical about how church in the building was going to be. I mean, only half the ward, intense focus on cleaning, completely different procedure for the sacrament, multiple cameras set up in order to broadcast for those who were not invited to be present this week or do not feel comfortable coming…there are a lot of differences. But one thing was the same. The Spirit was there. When we sang the opening hymn, I realized how much I’ve missed singing with the organ. Now, our ward is not fabulous at singing. The majority of the time it feels like the Estes family singers with a couple of additions. But you know what? It didn’t bother me. Whether or not others chose to sing, I was able to raise my voice. The opening hymn was “Onward, Christian Soldiers,” and I felt like it was chosen with inspiration. It is not a hymn that we sing often nowadays, but I love it. And the message is so perfectly fitted to the world we are living in. In the third verse there is a line that made me emotional as I sang, “We are not divided; All one body we: One in hope and doctrine, One in charity.” After such a long time being unable to meet, it was such a touching reminder of what a blessing it is to be able to gather as saints. We are stronger together and there are great blessings to be had in uniting with others who share our beliefs. There are still many challenges to be faced as the last days progress, but when we are united as families, relief societies, priesthood quorums, wards, and saints, we are all strengthened.

Onward, Christian soldiers!
Marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus
Going on before.
Christ, the royal Master,
Leads against the foe;
Forward into battle,
See his banners go!

At the sign of triumph
Satan’s host doth flee;
On, then, Christian soldiers,
On to victory.
Hell’s foundations quiver
At the shout of praise;
Brothers, lift your voices,
Loud your anthems raise.

Like a mighty army
Moves the Church of God;
Brothers, we are treading
Where the Saints have trod.
We are not divided;
All one body we:
One in hope and doctrine,
One in charity.

Onward, then, ye people;
Join our happy throng.
Blend with ours your voices
In the triumph song:
Glory, laud, and honor
Unto Christ, the King.
This through countless ages
Men and angels sing.

[Chorus]
Onward, Christian soldiers!
Marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus
Going on before.

(“Onward, Christian Soldiers” Text: Sabine Baring-Gould)

No comments: