Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Move In Day

Daniel moved into his campus housing today. School doesn’t start for another week and a half, but next week was supposed to be band camp for marching band. Unfortunately, marching band became a Covid casualty this year. His move in day was already set and he figured having an extra week to settle in, learn to get around campus, and look for a job would be good, so he was not bothered. The move in schedule was staggered a lot more this year anyway to prevent a huge crowd of people from arriving on campus at the same time so there were students trickling in over the course of two weeks. Covid restrictions only allowed each student to have two people arrive with them, so Kevin and I drove up to Logan and helped Daniel move in.

When we got home this evening, Kevin asked me how I’m doing. My honest answer is that I’m fine. Sending Daniel on a mission was much harder because I knew (at least I thought I did) that he would be gone for two years and that we would be very restricted in terms of when and how we could talk. With him going to college within driving distance, I know he’ll be able to come home when he wants and we can communicate whenever we want in a myriad of ways. And I’m grateful that he is finally able to get his life moving again. Coming home in April was hard for him. He had to rewrite his life plan and since then, he has basically been waiting for the next part of his life to start. He was anxious to get going and more excited than nervous to be taking the next step. He has a handful of high school friends attending USU and a cousin who is also starting this fall, so he has a social web in place already. In fact, as Kevin and I were driving away, Daniel was already headed out to meet up with his cousin for dinner.

He has already texted us to say that he and the one other roommate who has moved in have a lot in common. He thinks they are going to get along well. I hope he has an amazing college experience.

No comments: