Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Primary Music

My sister Rachael and I have lunch at our parents’ house once a week. I was the first to arrive today and my mom was the only one home. When I walked in the door, my mom had the stereo turned up high so she could hear the music all over the house. While that was entertaining in and of itself, my favorite part of the experience was the fact that she was blasting primary music. Gotta love that.

I’m a lover of primary music as well. There are so many wonderful songs that are rarely sung now a days and I find myself missing many of the songs I learned as a child. Over the last few months, we have often chosen our opening song for family home evening by opening the primary song book and choosing something that no one (or at least the kiddos) knows. It has been fun. And more often than you might think, the kids reference a primary song as we have our family gospel study. Malia remembered the song “Faith” recently while we were having a mini powwow about what faith is and how we can make it grow. And Daniel recalled “This is My Beloved Son” as we discussed the number of occurrences in the scriptures where someone actually hears the voice of Heavenly Father. (FYI-the answer to that is four, although only three of them are mentioned in the song.)

I’m a bit anxious about the announced revamping of the primary song book because I have such love for so many of songs the current book contains. I’m sure the new book will be wonderful as well, but I’m skeptical about whether or not such oldies and goodies like “Little Purple Pansies” will make the cut. (Another FYI-Matthew called that one “Little Purple Panties” when he was a toddler. It was awesome!) So maybe I’d better download the mp3’s for the current book before it changes so I can rock out to them just like my mom. 😊

No comments: