Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

He’s a Winner! (Winner, Winner, Winner..)

It’s the time of year for awards ceremonies. Unlike when I was in school a million years ago, the ceremonies are always held during the school day and the parents are only invited if their student is getting a particularly special award. As such, I’ve attended a few here and there but haven’t been to all of them.

This year I got to attend Nathan’s awards ceremony. Last week the school principal called to invite me. He said they give an award akin to the Sterling Scholar award only on the middle school level. Each department within the school works together to nominate two ninth-grade students (one boy and one girl) that they felt excelled in their area. Nathan was nominated three times-choir, social studies, and English. They only allow each student to receive one award so the three departments had to come to an agreement about which one he would receive. Based upon the fact that there is a smaller pool of students to choose from, they let the choir teacher give Nathan the award.

Today was the big day and Nathan was super excited when he received his award. He also received a medal for having a 4.0 GPA for all three years he was at the middle school. And the funny fact about the day? After the ceremony, the theater teacher told Nathan that she and the choir teacher both wanted to give Nathan their department award and “fought it out” before the nominations were ever submitted. 😂

I actually think it’s unfortunate that they won’t give more than one award to each student. Nathan clearly shone above the rest in a variety of areas and I would have loved to see him get four!

No comments: