Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Saturday, October 24, 2015

I've Created a Cookie Monster

A few months ago we had a family home evening lesson of service. As part of the lesson, I had each family member write down one act of service that they would commit to doing. Nathan decided he was going to make cookies for his piano teacher so a few days later he pulled out the cookbook and I walked him through the recipe. He did a great job and discovered that he really enjoyed the process.

Since then, he has started leafing through the cookbook and making cookies whenever the fancy strikes him. He is keeping us well fed with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, Chinese almond cookies, and he even discovered an oatmeal white chocolate cranberry cookie recipe I haven’t made in years because I have never been able to find dairy free white chips, Matthew was too young to understand that he couldn’t have the normal white chips, Daniel and Nathan were too inexperienced to know that they needed to keep the cookies away from Matthew and I was not experienced enough to figure out how to work around that. With some input from me based on the past seven years of experience, Nathan worked around it nicely, baking a tray for Matthew before adding the white chips for the rest of us. I think it is great that he is getting confident enough to just pull up a recipe and go for it. And I haven’t heard any complaints from the other kids. :-)

This morning he moved on to muffins…

No comments: