Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

He Never Stops Surprising Me

I was just downstairs watching t.v. when I heard the pitter patter of feet upstairs that indicated that Matthew was out of bed…again. He has been doing that a lot lately. Usually it is just because he can’t sleep or he just wanted to see us or something like that. So I came upstairs and headed into his room to talk to him.

When I asked him why he was up, he said, “I just can’t wait for tomorrow.” And honestly, I was completely stumped. Tomorrow is Wednesday. We have nothing on the calendar. I have laundry to do and bread to make. Kev is studying for a test. There is really nothing to indicate that tomorrow would hold anything the anticipation of which would keep a six year old awake quivering with excitement. And so I asked him why. His response: “Because I just can’t wait for spring.”

I’ll admit that it took me a minute to come up with a response for that. I was a bit flabbergasted, after all. Yes, tomorrow is the first day of spring, but Matthew is the first kid I’ve ever known who took the date on the calendar to be the tell all of seasonal predication. I mean, he has been playing outside in the spring-like weather for a week now and for most kids (in fact, every other kid I know) that and the tulips peeking out of the ground would be plenty enough for them to decide that it is spring right this very minute.

To my credit, I did not laugh while I got him tucked back in and very seriously told him that staying awake would not make tomorrow come any faster and if he closed his eyes and let himself sleep he would wake up happy in the morning and could go outside and play. I did, however, laugh just as soon as I was out of his hearing.

For his sake, I hope it doesn’t rain tomorrow.

No comments: