Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hallelujah!

This year Kevin’s parents got all of us tickets for the Messiah Sing In at Abravenal Hall as a Christmas present. Last night was the big night. Daniel and Nathan followed along and sang as best as they could. Nathan nearly sang in that big dead spot at the very end of the Hallelujah Chorus, but honestly I think he did great for being nine and sight reading Handel. Both boys think it is something we should do again. 

I did a lot of sight reading as well. I hadn’t realized just how many of the songs I had never sung before. And I was surprised at how few people were there, but I guess that is just a sign of the changing times. It seems like fewer and fewer people are engaged in the classical arts. But it is not something my family is likely to set aside anytime soon. I’m glad my boys enjoyed themselves so much. And that they have an appreciation for music that does not include an electric guitar. Not that I'm dissing rock music. I just love that they are so well rounded and can appreciate a variety of musical styles.

1 comment:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Every year I look into going to the Messiah Sing In. It's just a bad weekend for me jam-packed full of family stuff. I went to a Messiah Sing In with my mom about 7 years ago in American Fork and absolutely loved it! Thankfully, because I had sung in a "Gospel Messiah" (1/2 traditional, 1/2 gospel....I sang the traditional stuff) at the Grand Theatre for a couple of years, I was familiar with more of the songs than I normally would've been. But even still, there were songs that I didn't know. But oh, how wonderful it was! And I've been desperately wanting to go to the Abravanel Hall one every since. I'm so envious that you got to go! Maybe next year I'll make it! I'm going to try really, really hard! (Heck, I'd even go by myself...that's how bad I want to go!)