Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Premier Birthday

Malia’s first birthday was last week. As is typical at our house, we had several birthday celebrations. Last Sunday we celebrated with my family. I had tons of fun making her cupcakes. Over the years I’ve made planes, trains, cars, spaceships, dinosaurs, etc. But this was the first time that I was able to make flowers!


Malia was mesmerized by the flickering candle, reaching out and trying to grab the flames as we sang to her.


When she got her cupcake, the first thing she did was pick off and discard the flower and ladybug. Once that was done, she was not shy about digging in to the frosting. Only when the frosting was mostly gone did she nibble on the cake. And she was mightily pleased (and pretty sugar-hyped) about the whole thing.


Last night we celebrated at home with Kev’s parents. I went a lot less fancy and decorated a simple bundt cake with some of the leftover flowers and bugs. I turned out pretty cute and I think Malia liked the cinnamon cake even better than the cupcake.


For her birthday, we got Malia some new bath toys. She loves to play in the tub (she says “bap” over and over when she wants to take a bath) and since many of our bath toys have been around since Daniel and Nathan were little, it was time to chuck them and get new (less moldy) ones.


The past year has flown by! I can hardly believe Malia is one already!

No comments: