Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Is This What a Heart Attack Feels Like?

You know those moments when you are pretty sure your heart stopped for just a minute and you know for a fact that you forgot to breathe? I had one of those today.

This afternoon as I was cleaning up lunch in the kitchen, I suddenly heard Malia shrieking. This was not the mad cry, this was the “Hey, I have a problem and I can’t fix it” cry.  Knowing that I was the only one in the room, I dashed off to find her. As I rounded the corner from the kitchen to the family room, I saw two little feet at the top of the stairs…and nothing else. I ran and grabbed her ankle to keep her from falling further and then discovered that she was head down, her hands braced against the second stair from the top. Needless to say, she was freaked out. I was freaked out. It took me a couple of minutes to get her to calm down.  It took a couple more minutes to get me calmed down.  It would seem that after lunch Daniel, Nathan and Matthew had headed back downstairs to play with Lego. Unbeknownst to me, the last boy down the stairs (I found out later that it was Matthew) did not close the gate. Malia, who loves her brothers, had tried to follow them downstairs.

Needless to say, I had a very serious come to Jesus talk with my boys about closing the gate.

No comments: