Although we do the whole egg hunt bit and eat candy and all that, we have never been into the Easter Bunny gig. In fact, our kids know there is no Easter Bunny. And it works for us. We do all the eggs and candy bit because it is fun, but we focus on the resurrection. So yesterday we did a quick egg hunt with my sister Rachael and her family (stash and dash-hiding the eggs took longer than collecting them all back up) and today we kept things a bit more reverent…as reverent as a house full of boys all hopped up on sugar can be. We went to church and made singing with the choir a family event. Kev, Daniel and Nathan sang. Malia was with Kev and she looked mighty confused because I was leading the choir. Matthew trooped up with all of us and grumped when I wouldn’t let him stand right behind me and then grumped some more when I wouldn’t let him talk to Nathan while we were trying to sing: Mommy Mad Face-2, Matthew-0. Afterward we all watched one of the videos the church has produced about the crucifixion and resurrection. I was actually kind of surprised by how much the video affected Nathan and Matthew. Nathan cringed and covered his eyes at the horrible things that happened and Matthew was sad and solemn for the entire time, quite a feat for a five year old boy. I am proud to see that they understand what this holiday is all about.
So yes to eggs, candy, and cute Easter dresses, but yahoo to kids that know why we eat the hot cross buns.





No comments:
Post a Comment