Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, August 7, 2011

You Really Cannot Make This Stuff Up

Have you ever been startled awake at 1:30 in the morning by someone knocking vigorously on your front door?  That would be a yes for me.  Have you ever sent your husband to answer the door only to discover a police officer standing on the front porch?  Me in the affirmative again.  To tell you the rest of the tale, let me introduce my guest blogger, Kevin:

BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM!!!!!  At o-dark-thirty in the morning, a pounding at a door is never what you want to hear.  BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM!!!!!  I glanced at the clock as I startled awake a couple of weeks ago.  Somebody knocking at the door at 1:30 a.m. can never mean a good thing.  I staggered toward the door as fast as I could.  By the time I reach the front door I am fully awake, thoughts of what happened to the cars, or is the trailer still there, or any number of problems racing through my head.  As I reach for the locks on the front door, I glance out the window.  Yep, there it is.  Standing at my front door is a local Sheriff and my heart takes a jump and drops into the pit of my stomach.  I greeted the officer and asked what was going on.  He proceeds to tell me that they have caught 4 youths digging up sod in my yard and throwing it in the street.

Um, what??!?  Digging up sod in my yard?  Surely I misheard him.  No cars, spray paint, knives, rocks, eggs, or something else that sounds,  well . . . . fun?

He proceeded to tell me that a witness saw these youths get out of an SUV and walk over to my yard and dig up 4 or 5 6” to 1’ holes in my yard.  The witness called the sheriff and they got there fast enough to catch them.  He said let’s go take a look.  Being 1:30 in the morning, I had to excuse myself to go get shoes on.  The trip back to my closet to get my shoes had quite the personal dialog:  Really?  How is that fun? Digging up my yard?  Why my yard?  Of all the yards on the street, mine didn’t need any more help looking like the local redneck!

I go out with the officer, and sure enough, there are holes in my yard.  I had to ask him: did they say why?  He said no, and it doesn’t make any sense to us either.  I asked what was going to happen to them.  He said they would be charged with criminal mischief and their parents would have to come get them from jail.  UM OOOOOPS!!! 

Shauna here.  Want to know what was I doing while all this was happening?  I was lying in bed trying to go back to sleep, which turned out to be a futile attempt since a huge adrenaline rush is not exactly fabulous for lulling one into a peaceful slumber.  And once Kev came back in, he couldn't sleep and had to get up again and go rescue the sod from the street.  Now back to Kevin...

Jump forward to tonight.  There is a knock at the door.  Only this time, it is early evening.  There are two youths, and one disgusted looking father.  Turns out, 2 of those who caused the problem came and apologized.  They will be here later to help make my yard not quite so redneck.

You cannot make this stuff up:  so there is my sod story. :-)

Me again.  Yesterday two of the sod perps arrived to do some yard work in order to make up for their stupidity.  Kev made them dig up sod from where we don't want it. The first pieces were used to fill in the holes they made.  I think that would be called poetic justice.

4 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Ummm...wow, really?? So bizarre!

sweetlissybug said...

That is weird. But really, really funny that the kids have to dig up more sod as their punishment. Hee hee! That'll teach 'em!

Englebright said...

Wow... those teens need a little imagination. Digging holes in peoples' yards? Sounds like a crazy fun time to me!! ;)

Marilyn Barney said...

You're right! You can't make up this kind of stuff. Those kids sooooo need to be back in school.