Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Keepin' Cool


My birthday is coming up, so last night Kev took me out to dinner and a movie to celebrate.  When we walked into the theater, it was hot.  Roasting hot.  I stripped off my coat, scarf and sweater (all of which I usually keep on during a movie) and was still much too hot.  For most people this would just be an inconvenience, but being too hot gives me migraines so I headed out to the lobby to buy a cup of ice.  When I asked the extraordinarily bored looking girl at the concession counter for a cup of ice, the conversation went something like this:

Bored Girl: "I'll have to charge you full price."
Me: "Seriously?"
Bored Girl: "We have to pay for the cup."
Me: (muttered under by breath) "The cup costs a nickel."
Bored Girl: (blank stare)

Which is how I ended up paying four dollars and seventy five cents for a cup of ice.  I can get a freakin' ten pound bag for two bucks at the Walmart!  But I figured it was better to pay up than to get a migraine.  The ironic part is that when I returned to the theater, Kev informed me that the cool air had turned on about halfway through my absence.  About a third of the way through the film I started putting back on all the layers I had stripped off half an hour previously.  But two thirds of the way through the movie, the heat came back on and I was grateful for the ice.

And do you want to know what outrageously expensive ice tastes like?  Water.  Very cold water.

No comments: