Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I Think He’s Got It!


It’s science fair time again and although we’ve known about it since October, things got so crazy while everyone was off-track in December that Daniel and I both completely forgot.  By the time I remembered, Daniel only had two and a half weeks to do his entire project and I was in no frame of mind to deal with the stress that happened last year as I tried to help him get it done at crunch time.  So I told him if he wanted to do the science fair, he would have to do it himself.  I wasn’t going to bug him or remind him every day of what he had left to do.  He’s in fourth grade now so I figured it was time for him to step up and take responsibility if he chose to do it.

And to my great satisfaction, he did just that.  He did his entire project by himself with only occasional technical assistance from Kev and all I did was buy the fruits and vegetables he needed, man the camera and give him a couple of suggestions on how to organize his display board.  Everything else was all Daniel.  And he had it completely finished two days before the science fair.  All he had to do the night before was stick everything he needed in his backpack.  So much better than the late nighter we pulled last year!

And he won a third place ribbon again!  I must say that I was very proud that he did so well all on his own.  He already knows what he wants to do next year and it will need to be done in the summer since that is when the ants are active so I think he has begun to understand the value of getting things done before the deadline!


No comments: