Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Thursday, May 28, 2009

WHY???!!

I just got home and I really should be putting the groceries away, doing laundry, wrapping birthday presents and making dinner. So why am I shirking my responsibilities and blogging instead? Because I'm having a tryst with wrath and I need to vent!

Today is Nathan's birthday and on the way home I stopped at the store to pick up some dairy-free margarine so that I can make Matthew friendly frosting for the birthday cakes. When I couldn't find what I was looking for, I asked and was informed that the Nucoa margarine has been discontinued. My first thought: "Are you kidding me??!! It took me months just to find this stuff!!" My second thought: "Crap. Now what?"

I have only found one other stick margarine that will work for us and it is $5 a box. Five dollars! For one pound of margarine!! So I'm on a bit of a rampage about margarine. Some of you might be wondering why this is a problem. Isn't margarine by definition not butter? You would think that, but most margarine still has milk in it. Even the ones labeled as real margarine have milk in them. I try really hard to make almost everything that comes out of my kitchen Matthew friendly. Since he can't eat hardly anything anywhere else, I want my home to be a food haven for him. This is not an easy task and today's events have put me in a bit of a funk because all of a sudden I'm back to square one as far as my baking is concerned.

I suppose that if we were independently wealthy I wouldn't be so worked up, but we can't afford $5 for a box of margarine. And so I vent. And then tomorrow I will be hitting the natural food stores searching for an alternative.

6 comments:

Hannah S said...

That's awful!! What did you end up making instead?

Tiff Keetch said...

Bummer! Sorry Shauna!

Tiff Keetch said...

I just thought of this - try looking online for that Nucoa margarine. You might be able to stock up on the last of it and freeze it.

Seriously. You can buy ANYTHING online.

Parrylarious said...

It seems like every time I get into a groove with my life, someone ups the price, discontinues what I need, or changes their policy. It often leaves me feeling like corporate America has me by the throat and there's nothing I can do about it.

Hope you find an affordable alternative. You should talk to Kim Tillotson sometime. Josh is lactose intolerant and their whole family eats lactose-free. That girl can find a bargain, let me tell you what!!!!

Melissa E Photography said...

$5 margarine? Anyone who eats something made from that should feel like a king. That is CRAZINESS!

sweetlissybug said...

That sucks. Good luck finding something else. Life should be more affordable.