Tonight was the marching band friends and family night, the final performance of this year’s show before the kids head to St. George for the state finals. It was also senior night, a chance to highlight the kids who are marching for the last time before they graduate. Each senior, accompanied by their parents, was celebrated with a brief paragraph highlighting them and given a fun ribbon lei in the school colors. Kevin and I were both in attendance and were so pleased to be able to support Matthew.
Once all the seniors were presented and cheered, one parent of every student was invited to shadow their student for one movement of the show. Since Kevin and I had already been down to the field, we sent Malia. She might not be his parent, but the two of them have been the only kids living at home for years now and despite their occasional clashes, they are actually pretty good friends. She is fully aware that Matthew will be leaving home in less than a year, so I felt like giving her a chance to be a part of his world for a bit would be good. And it was.
We were all bundled up because it was soooooo cold! Honestly, even with thermals, boots, sweater, coat, gloves, and hood, I was still cold! Once we headed back to the stands, I was able to shelter with Malia in our stadium blanket and that helped a bit, but seriously, I was frigid. That is why the state finals are held down south. It is usually warmer there. Not always, but usually. Hopefully this year will be on the warm side because I might still need time to thaw out by the time we get there later this week. 😂
Matthew had the realization that tonight was the very last time he will march on his home field. It was one of those reality moments, I think. For all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment