Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Saturday, June 29, 2024

Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Kevin’s dad was in the Air Force, so as he was growing up, things were all about the airplanes in his family. As such, it seemed perfectly appropriate that I should be initiated into the grand event that is an air show several months after Kev and I got married. Having no real idea what I was in for, I happily agreed to go. That evening, I returned home with one of the worst sunburns I’ve ever gotten and a massive headache from the heat. Needless to say, I have never attended another air show. I am glad that I experienced one though, so I have a frame of reference for the many that my boys have attended. I just don’t love planes enough to risk the misery that a long, hot day in the burning sun brings me.

With that bit of history noted, I once again introduce a guest blogger to report on an event I did not attend. This time Matthew has shared a few thoughts and just a few of the hundreds of amazing pictures he took today:

This airshow was my first experience with the Air Force Demonstration Team, the Thunderbirds. I've seen the Blue Angels numerous times, but never the Thunderbirds. It was a wonderful show of force from the aviation of this country, and it was quite the perspective seeing the shift from the Japanese A6M Zeros and the P-40, all the way to the F-16's, and the F-35's. I was able to bring my best friend Alex, and she had a wonderful time as well. It was a joy to be there with the people I enjoy being with. It ended up being hot and I got mildly sunburned, but overall it was totally worth it. At the end of the day my right eye was red right in the place where I squinted to look through the camera's viewfinder. It was quite the time, and I enjoyed it, and would go again with the same people.








No comments: