Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Monday, May 27, 2024

Butterflies Flutter By

There is a fairly new butterfly biosphere at Thanksgiving Point. We have been planning to visit for a while now, but scheduling has been tricky what with two teenagers going two different directions all the time. Kevin and I got to visit a butterfly habitat while we were in Texas, but the last one Matthew and Malia experienced was on our Seattle trip in 2016. Amazingly, we had no conflicts today, probably because it is a holiday and not a Saturday, so we bought our tickets last week and put our outing on the calendar. Matthew actually got there before this excursion as he and his friend Alex had a bounce back pass and visited last week, but he spent the whole time wishing he had the big camera and not just his phone camera, so he was more than happy to go again, the better camera in tow.

The traveling part of the exhibit featured beetles, and honestly, that was a bit creepy for me. I just don’t feel comfortable with the thought of beetles as big as my hand crawling around. Yes, I know that makes me kind of a wimp, but they give me the heebie jeebies. Not as badly as spiders do, but they still make my skin crawl. And yes, I purposely averted my eyes when we came across the exhibits containing black widows and tarantulas. 

I greatly enjoyed the butterfly portion though. There were some different ones than we saw in Texas, and I got to watch several butterflies emerge from their cocoons which was super cool. Matthew was in seventh heaven, taking pictures like crazy and experimenting with the camera to see how to capture the images he wanted.  On the other hand, Malia was a bit weirded out by the “flying bugs.’ She didn’t want them landing on her and she most certainly didn’t want to try to hold one on purpose. It kind of surprised me that she was so creeped out since I don’t have any adverse feelings where butterflies are concerned, but people are terrified of clowns too and I also don’t get that. To each their own aversions, I guess. 😂






No comments: