Today is my birthday and it’s a big one. One of those big ones with a zero at the end. It is also exactly halfway to 100. It is hard to wrap my brain around the fact that I am fifty years old. Inside, I don’t feel that old. Even my outside, although sometimes my body does betray me, doesn’t really feel like I have reached quite such a ripe old age. It is one of those funny things where time just seems to pass faster and faster and one morning you wake up and realize that you are old. I suspect that at some point, I’ll look in the mirror and wonder who that old woman is. I’m not quite at that point yet, but I know it’s coming. π
Kevin asked me if I wanted him to make a big deal about my big birthday, but honestly, having a party or gathering felt more like work than a celebration to me. With the increased headache trouble that has accompanied the physical therapy as well as our busy schedule of late, having a low-key day was exactly what I wanted. I had an appointment with my chiropractor this morning and a primary activity this afternoon, but other than that, Kevin gave me the day off. He did all my jobs for me, and the Crockpot was prepped yesterday for dinner today, so I had a rare opportunity to focus on some of my preferred relaxing pastimes.
Despite having a low-key day, there were a few special celebratory elements. Kevin bought me a metal bowl for my Bosch mini mixer, a bowl I’ve been wanting so I can optimize my whipped cream game. I’ve found several recipes for whipped soy or oat milk that claim to be closer in texture to the real thing than the more common coconut milk sub, but from what I’ve read, having super cold milk and bowl are even more important than when working with dairy whipped cream, so the metal bowl will be great there. I discovered that Doordash has expanded to deliver far more than just food as Nathan and Daniel arranged to have Doordash deliver a beautiful birthday bouquet. And we ate cheesecake, one of my favorite indulgent treats. I did make the cheesecake myself, but I don’t actually mind making my own birthday cake. For me, the baking is a big part of the joy, so it doesn’t feel like a chore to create something delicious I can share with my family on my big day.
Kevin and I are planning to go out to dinner on Friday to celebrate, but other than that, this birthday has passed peacefully and with joy. I love my family. I love my life. And I love how much I have learned over this first half century on earth. My goal is to continue to learn over the coming years. And to be one of those 80-year-old grandmas who still does yoga. π



No comments:
Post a Comment