It is a well-established fact that I love fun food. But what makes food fun? Is it the fact that there is an immense satisfaction in turning something edible into art? Is it because I know that the end result will taste as good as it looks? Is it because it is a fun way to extend the celebration of a holiday? While all of those things are contributing factors, they are only part of the equation for me. The biggest component is the pleasure it brings to the people I love.
Today we took the food=love equation one step further and made edible Valentines. Cookie cutters and a bit of color can work wonders for a simple pancake, and both came into play this morning. My freeze-dried strawberry pancakes turned out more purple than pink, probably due to the wheat flour I use in my pancakes, but they tasted delicious, especially when paired with fresh strawberry hearts and flounces of whipped cream. Next time I might try adding a bit of red food coloring to the batter to see if I can deepen the color, but other than that, the pancakes were a hit. My kids happily partook of the morning love fest, and we all started the day with smiles on our faces.
No comments:
Post a Comment