Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, August 13, 2021

Playing With Our Food

For Christmas my mother-in-law planned to give me a waffle iron that makes Lego brick shaped waffles. However, like everything else right now, it was back ordered. She ordered it in what should have been plenty of time, expecting it to ship in November, and when it didn’t arrive before the holiday, she gave me a picture and said she hoped it would arrive…eventually. Eventually was just about right because she actually put the iron in my hands on Easter.

Anyone who knows us knows that we have a little bit of a Lego addiction around here. It started with Kevin’s love of Legos as a kid, continued with the Lego cake topper on our wedding cake, and was perpetuated with all of our offspring. I don’t think we have had a Lego-less Christmas since Daniel was a wee baby. From Duplo to Technic to Power Functions to Ideas, we have it all. And it has been well used and well loved. There were literally years and years when the Legos came out every single day. So anything Lego themed is right up our alley. Matthew’s ability to eat waffles with eggs and our going on three years of traditional Sunday morning waffle breakfasts made the waffle part just right as well. Honestly, it was one of those perfect gifts.

The hard part came trying to choose a time to create the Lego waffles. Not only did everyone need to be here, but we definitely needed to factor in enough time to play with our food. Because what good are Lego waffles if you don’t build with them prior to consuming them? Between Daniel and Nathan both juggling work schedules and social engagements, Malia’s horseback riding lessons, Matthew’s increasing social commitments, and the return of our church activities and meetings, it was pretty difficult to find a time when I had time to make some fun waffles and everyone was on hand to create some eatable art. As the summer drew close to its conclusion, I got very serious and sat everyone down with their calendars so we could find a time to eat waffles all together on a day when we didn’t need to rush to get to church on time. We finally decided that this evening’s dinner would be the prime opportunity. We actually put it on the calendar so no one would schedule anything on top of it.

We have two big family sized standard waffle irons so that I can cook enough waffles to feed everyone in a decent amount of time, but with only one Lego iron I knew I needed to allow more time for cooking. I took me about four times longer to make the waffles than it did for my crew of starving youngsters to eat them, but it was well worth it. I’ve spent the past twenty years trying to teach my kids not to play with their food, but today was the exception. And what fun we had!
 












No comments: