Our 4th of July celebration happened in a different order this year. Instead of starting with breakfast and ending with fireworks, we did things in reverse order. We ate our celebratory dinner and set off our fireworks on July 3rd because Nathan was scheduled to work the evening of the 4th. Then we did our patriotic pancakes and tri-colored beverages for lunch on the 4th because Daniel worked that morning. Having grown up children means things are changing in our little world, but it is good change. It means our children are growing up to be well adjusted, responsible people who are not only willing to work, but want to work. Guess Kev and I must have done something right.
Parenting assessment aside, this year’s celebration was different than normal. That will come as no surprise at all. This whole year has been different than normal. Nevertheless, and despite the many struggles in which our country is currently drowning, I’m incredibly grateful to live where I do. But the many freedoms we enjoy don’t come without effort or cost. Our forebearers in many generations have struggled, fought, worked, and even died to ensure the freedoms we have. And often, I think we take these freedoms for granted. A few weeks ago, Elder David A. Bednar spoke at the BYU Law School Religious Freedoms Annual Review. He spoke about religious freedom in relation to the crisis of Covid-19 and it was eye opening. He addressed the fact that in an instant, the government took away our freedom to gather as religious groups. It was for good reason, but none of us even questioned it. He spoke of the need for us to be aware of what is happening and to be willing to act to protect our religious freedom. It is one of the essential building blocks of our country’s government and we can’t let it slip away due to negligence on the part of all of us.
Elder Bednar made me think. So much so that we used his address as the topic of one Sunday’s SCONES lesson. We are living in perilous times, in the last days, and I suspect things are going to get harder in the future. So what am I willing to do to maintain my right to practice my religion, to gather with others who share my faith, and to live according to my own conscience? I think that’s a question we must all ask ourselves. Church leaders have counseled often of late that the time to straddle the line is passed. We have to choose a side. We have to take a stand. What then, am I going to stand for? Am I willing to fight to preserve my religious freedom? It seems like a daunting task if I’m standing alone, but when we all stand together, we can be a powerful voice for good. That, in fact, is one of the many reasons we, and those of every faith, must be allowed to gather with others of our religion. It is an essential freedom we must be willing to work to preserve.
Self-Improving Quote of the Day
- "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott
Sunday, July 5, 2020
Fighting for Freedom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
Years ago someone called me a zealot because I got upset when the Primary kids were being disrespectful when the national anthem was playing. This was soon after we had left the Philippines. I am just glad that I live in this country. The lyrics to my senior song say, I love my land America and as long as we are good then God will bless America with peace and brotherhood.
Post a Comment