Matthew was in the school geography bee last year. He answered his first two questions wrong and was eliminated. He was in the school geography bee this year as well, one of two kids from his class. But he did not get his first two questions wrong. In fact, he was the only participant whose answers did not sound like questions. As the number of kids was whittled down, I started getting nervous for him. He looked totally cool until the 5th round (of 7) but I was a ball of nerves. When the numbers had dwindled from 30 to 9, I gave him the “you made it to the top 9, that is awesome!” pep talk, preparing him to be eliminated in one of the final two, much harder, rounds. But he definitely proved me wrong. He continued on and was the first place winner!
His class cheered him heartily all the way through the bee, but when they got to the end, the entire gym (grades 4-6 plus teachers and parents) erupted in applause and cheers. One of my favorite book quotes is from “Wonder,” by R.J. Palacio: “I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives.” Today was Matthew’s day. It was magnificent and brought this proud mother to tears (not that it is particularly difficult to do so, but still).
I’m so stinking proud of Matthew. Daniel and Nathan have both won a variety of honors over the years and they seem to be perpetually in the limelight. Coming after them can be a challenge. I’m a third child as well, so I totally understand how challenging it can be to come after successful siblings. But Matthew just made his own mark on the world, had a great success in something neither of his brothers ever have. From here, he takes a written test and if he scores in the top 50% of statewide school winners, he will go on to the State Geography Bee. Fingers crossed! But no matter how he performs from here, I’m proud, so proud of his hard work and this fabulous accomplishment. 😊



No comments:
Post a Comment