Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Open Sesame

Malia has figured out how to open doors. I realized she had acquired this particular skill when I turned around and found her happily searching for gloves and a hat in the coat closet. She was mightily pleased when she found a matching pair of mittens and got them on all by herself.


She can’t do all the doors yet, just some depending on what kind of doorknob they have. But it won’t be long. She can already open the door to the fruit room which is where the food storage lives. I may need to move the marshmallows and chocolate chips to a higher shelf. She can’t quite manage the pantry door which is good since she knows that is where the crackers live and she is always hoping for a snack just as I’m cooking dinner since that is when she is getting hungry. At least she isn’t allergic to half of what is in there. That makes the door opening skill an inconvenience and not a nightmare like it was with Matthew.

Of course, it may turn into a nightmare if she figures out that she can open the door to the bathroom (we have already thrown away half a dozen of Matthew's toothbrushes because one of the boys left the door open and Malia decided to brush her teeth) and Nathan and Matthew's room (that is where all the fun junk lives and she loves to get in there and wreak havoc). It's a shame that I only have one of the good doorknob covers left, the ones that you can't buy anymore. All three of my other kids figured out how to work the most common doorknob covers in about a week. So it could be...interesting.

No comments: