After
I was done on the phone, I called Nathan upstairs to see if I could figure out
what was going on. When I asked if something had happened with LG, he responded
in the affirmative. So I asked him to tell me what happened. He said that the
other boy shoved LG and pushed her down. I asked what he was doing and he just
shrugged, generally not a good sign when talking to my kids. So I pressed him
for more info and he finally told me that he was pretend lunging and shoving.
My heart sank. It appeared that while Nathan did not do the actual shoving, he
was playing along with the whole thing. I told him that participating in that
way was taking part in the bullying. Nathan, ever my tender-hearted kid,
started to cry. He stood up and walked to his room and closed the door. I let
him go, knowing he probably needed a few minutes to think. And I sat alone,
dismayed by the turn of events. It is completely out of character for Nathan to
do something like this. He has been on the receiving end of the bullying too
many times and I simply could not understand why he decided to participate.
After
a bit, I approached Nathan again. He was just sitting on the floor in his room,
still crying. I asked him what was going on in his head and he told me he was
sorry he had made a bad choice. So I asked him what he needed to do and he said
he needed to apologize to LG. I looked up the phone number and he called and
left a message when no one answered.
About
an hour and a half later, the phone rang. Nathan answered the phone, walked
into his room and talked for a few minutes. Than he brought me the phone and
said that LG’s dad wanted to talk to me. I took a big breath and took the
phone, sure I was about to get a very serious talking to. But I could not have
been more wrong. Instead, LG’s dad said, “I just wanted to let you know how
thankful I am that Nathan stood up for LG today.” There was a long moment of
perplexed silence from me and then I told him that apparently I had no idea what
was going on. So he told me that LG had told him that she, Nathan and the other
boy had been playing together, all pretending to lunge and push. LG was just
fine with all that. Then the other boy shoved her and pushed her down. At that
point, Nathan said, “That’s going too far. We need to stop. You don’t hit
girls.”
LG’s
dad probably thinks I’m a total freak because that is when I started to cry and
through the tears I managed to convey the fact that Nathan had not told me that
part. We completed our conversation and I handed the phone back to Nathan
because LG wanted to thank him as well. When he was finished on the phone, I
pulled him aside. I told him exactly what LG’s dad had told me and he said,
“Oh, yeah. I forgot that part.”
Not
only did he do the right thing in a tough situation, but it was so second
nature to him that it didn’t even stand out as an event to be remembered. I
could not possibly be prouder of him. I apologized for misunderstanding what
and happened and told him how proud I was. His countenance immediately
brightened and my heart lightened with relief and joy.
I
worry about the things my kids face when they walk out my door. It seems to me
that they are being bombarded by temptation and filth in ever increasing
amounts. But this is one kid that is going to be just fine. His moral compass
is strong and firmly pointed in the right direction. I worry a little bit less
knowing that.
2 comments:
Doesn't surprise me one bit, coming from him, but what a sweet mothering moment!
This made me cry a little bit. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment