Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Monday, October 29, 2012

Squash Offerings 2012

For FHE tonight we carved our pumpkins and made homemade doughnuts. Matthew needs a doughnut for his class Halloween party on Wednesday and since doughnuts are one of those things that we just cannot buy for him, we make them instead. I’ll admit that I don’t do it very often because they can be kind of labor intensive, so Matthew can count all the times he has eaten doughnuts on one hand. But really, I don’t mind the work so much when his response to a warm, glazed and sprinkled doughnut is, “That…was…AWESOME!!”

Before I show you how all our Jacks turned out, I want to share a couple of soundbytes from the evening’s festivities. We had a big bowl that everyone was using for their pumpkin guts. I was speeding up the gutting process by picking up the whole pumpkin and dumping the guts into the bowl instead of trying to scoop them out. Daniel thought this was a great time saving technique and at one point he asked, “Can I take a dump?” Kev and I laughed ourselves silly. And once Daniel realized what he has said, he laughed to. I just love that my kids are just as wacky as their parents!

Matthew has gotten old enough that he can do a lot of the actual carving by himself. He was vigorously sawing away at his Hulk-O-Lantern when he stopped and said, “My cheeks shake when I do this.” (Chuckle) He may be old enough to carve his own pumpkin, but he still has just a bit of baby chub in his cheeks.

Without further ado, here is how it all worked out:
 

No comments: