Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Friday, July 30, 2010

I Thought Hobbies Were Supposed To Be Relaxing!

I just finished reading a book that left more unanswered questions than answered ones. When I realized I was at the end of the book, I thought, “Huh. That was a pretty stupid ending.” About two seconds later, while reading the author’s information on the back flap, I discovered that there were no answers because this book was the first in a series. Blast!! I hate it when I inadvertently read the first book in a series of which none of the other books are written. And it happens way more often than I want it to. I know that the authors and publishers do it on purpose to make your emotional well being dependent on reading (and buying) all the other books, but I think they take it a bit too far. I mean, Robert Jordan stretched his Wheel of Time series for so long that he died before he finished it. I can just imagine him on the other side laughing at all the folks who actually made it through first 11 books as they blanched when they realized he had passed on without giving them any answers whatsoever. Luckily for them, the publishers knew an opportunity when they saw it and employed another writer to write the conclusion. I’ll bet they’ve been laughing all the way to the bank for the past 20 years. They really should put a warning label on these books. Seriously, just slap a big old sticker on them: “WARNING!! This book is the first in a series and unless you want to be seriously put out when you realize that the other seventeen books in the series have not been written yet, you should put this book back where you found it and walk away as quickly as possible. I mean you!! Step away from the book!!!”

Highly irritating. I need a new book to read. One that actually ends.

No comments: