Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Sunday, September 13, 2009

I Am The Champion!

Let me begin by showing you what the shower in my wonderful red bathroom looked like when we bought our house.

Gross, huh? Of course I cleaned the thing before we moved in, but in spite of the fact that it was germ free, the hard water marks seemed a permanent fixture. You couldn't even see through the glass. And no, it is not frosted glass. So I scrubbed. And I scrubbed. And then I scrubbed some more. I used every cleaner I could think of. I tried Soft Scrub, Tilex, Lime-A-Way, Scrub Free, Kaboom, baking soda, vinegar, baking soda and vinegar . . . nothing was even making a dent in the nastiness. So finally, in my desperation, I turned to the internet for ideas. Most of what I found raved about the charms of all the many things I had already tried. But after sifting through about fifteen message boards dedicated to the topic of cleaning glass showers, I happened upon a small miracle cure for hard water deposits. The solution? Glass stovetop cleaner and delicate duty scotchbrite pads. On the chat board where I read about the stove cleaner, one lady commented that she attached her scotebrite pads to her rotating sander and went to town. At first I thought that was a bit of overkill but many, many arm aching hours later I must admit that if I had a rotating sander it definitely would have been called into active bathroom duty. Nevertheless, after many months of weekly (if not daily) assaults on the thing, I have finally emerged from the bathroom, tired but victorious. Here's the proof:

There is still some work to be done on the grout in the floor and the aluminum frame, but that is nothing compared to what I had to deal with on the glass. So now, I intend to sit back and admire my work from the supreme comfort of my bubble bath. And for those who may be wondering, I did in fact buy a squeegee. One minute a day of squeegeeing the glass is a small price to pay if I never, ever have to scrub it again.

5 comments:

Hannah S said...

That's really good to know bcse our shower has the exact same problem. I thought about buying a squeegee too. I think I will need to invest in one and then clean my windows like Tiff! lol.
Your bathroom looks really nice!

Wendy said...

You ARE the champion! Your bathroom looks awesome! Congratulations.

Tiff Keetch said...

Suhhhh-WEET! Nice work girl.. There's nothing like putting your whole heart, soul and body into something and being rewarded with the outcome. (Too bad it had to be a shower stall) but great nonetheless. :)

I LOVE the red too..

Holt's in da House said...

...whatever, I loosened it up for you ... HA HA! Wow, man, you ARE the champion! I guess, if you wanted to, a water softener might help too... GOOD JOB !!!

Heather said...

You are amazing!