Self-Improving Quote of the Day

  • "Love is making space in your life for someone else."--Niell F. Marriott

Monday, December 1, 2008

Gobble, Gobble Baby!

One of Matthew's favorite pastimes is kicking of his shoes. This is the way (to my perpetual irritation) that he passes the time while we are shopping. I usually notice, but have on occasion had to go back down a few aisles to find his missing footwear. Today I was not as alert as usual and missed the kicking off of one shoe. As I was leaving Office Depot (our fourth stop of the morning), I realized that his shoe was gone. So I went back into the store and walked all the aisles hoping to find it. I didn't, of course. So I headed back out to the car to see if he kicked it off in the car without me noticing. No dice. So it was back into the store to stand in line and leave my phone number with the manager in case a toddler sized Elmo shoe showed up somewhere. After that, knowing that I would need to revisit the three other stores I had already been to, I took a minute to change a very unsavory diaper so that I wouldn't have to wash the car seat cover when we got home. While I was up to my elbows in poop (not literally, but it kind of felt like it), the Office Depot manager came running out of the store holding the lost shoe. While losing your child's shoe is not necessarily something to be embarrassed about, it would have been nice to get it back in a situation that allowed us all a bit more dignity. Seriously, I'm sure it did not make the managers day to see that diaper business. He seemed a bit embarrassed and high tailed it back into the store before I could even say thank you. But I was very grateful that he came to catch me rather than just leaving a message for me to come back and get it.

So here's to my youngest child: Gobble, gobble baby! You are an enormous turkey!

No comments: