I can't really complain all that much because in general Daniel and Nathan are great eaters. When his teacher asked him to draw a picture of his favorite food, Nathan drew carrots and broccoli. And although we had a rough start, nowadays Daniel will eat most things we feed him. But a common dinner time question at our house is: "Do I have to eat my chicken?" And of course the answer is yes, which is not what they want to hear.
But several weeks ago I happened to come across a recipe in a magazine that was labeled "kid friendly." Since it also happened to be Matthew friendly, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. So I tweeked it a bit to fit our tastes (kids may like things basted in plain ketchup, but adults generally like a bit more flavor) and tried it out. And to my amazement, there were no arguments about trying it, no complaints that it looked funny or smelled gross. The fact that it was chicken on a stick got everyone's attention right away. And Daniel and Nathan both loved it. They asked for more. When it is barbeque chicken kabob night, I never have to tell them to eat their chicken.
I wonder if they would eat squash if I put it on a stick? Or maybe even brussel sprouts?
Barbeque Chicken Kabobs
2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Catalina salad dressing
1 TBL. brown sugar
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
Slice chicken breast into thin strips and thread onto skewers. (If using wooden skewers, soak them first to reduce scorching.) Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet or broiling rack. Blend remaining ingredients and baste chicken liberally. Cook under broiler for 3 minutes. Turn and baste other side with remaining sauce. Broil three minutes longer.
Serves 4 (if two of them are little people)
2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Catalina salad dressing
1 TBL. brown sugar
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
Slice chicken breast into thin strips and thread onto skewers. (If using wooden skewers, soak them first to reduce scorching.) Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet or broiling rack. Blend remaining ingredients and baste chicken liberally. Cook under broiler for 3 minutes. Turn and baste other side with remaining sauce. Broil three minutes longer.
Serves 4 (if two of them are little people)
2 comments:
Jerry Seinfeld's wife (Jessica) has a book called "Deceptively Delicious" in which she uses vege & fruit puree in disguise for kids, reducing fat, etc. - it looked good. I wonder if you'd seen it?
This looks so good. Thanks!
Post a Comment