A year or so ago, I can’t remember if it was Mother’s Day or Christmas, but whichever celebration it was, my sister Patti gifted my mom and all the sisters with a hibiscus planted in a pot. By some miracle, I’ve managed to keep my plant alive all this time. Not only that, but it is healthy and blooms regularly! The blossoms are as big as my hand and absolutely gorgeous. They just make me happy to look at, so whenever it blooms, I turn the pot so that the flowers are pointed in towards the house so that I can enjoy them. But without fail, within a day, those beautiful blooms have turned back towards the window, back towards the sun.
Today, I’m particularly touched by the symbolism of those blossoms. No matter which way I turn them, they reorient themselves towards their source of light. And no matter which way life turns us, we need to turn towards our light source as well. Like my hibiscus flowers follow the sun, we need to follow the Son, Jesus Christ. He is our source of light and life. He is the one who will never lead us astray. He is the one that will comfort us in all afflictions, who understands every sorrow and every hurt and every fear we experience. And when we are continually turned towards him, we will have the spiritual health and strength that we need. Because life is hard. Like today. When my baby sister was diagnosed with breast cancer.
So, turn towards the Son. He will light the way through all the dark days ahead. If we turn to him, he will always, always be there to help us walk the path.


No comments:
Post a Comment